Our goal is to spread the message of FIRST
About Our Team
We are a community-based team independent from any school system. We welcome membership applications from any high-school aged student from the GTA and Hamilton. We offer the full FIRST Robotics Competition experience!
Our goal is to promote and inspire respect for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Skilled trades, and Mathematics) in our communities.
Our inaugural season was 2016 for the newly formed Oakville Community FIRST Robotics team, yet we are supported by a strong group of experienced adult mentors and FIRST alumni.
An important element of our program is to have our team participate in the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC). This competition combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of students are challenged to design, build and program a robot to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real-world engineering” as a student can get.
The non-technical side of FRC is equally as import. To spread the message of FIRST, our team participates in many outreach events in the community. Media is important since it is how we get our team brand out into the community and it raises awareness of STEM. Business skills are also a key part of the team since we run on a budget and we must get sponsors from industry to fund our team. With that, we can apply for awards which can help us qualify for the World Championships. This side of FRC allows members to improve on their presentation skills, essay writing skills, professional letter writing skills, business skills and how to interact with people in industry.
What You Can Learn
- Opportunities to enrich your leadership, presentation, teamwork, and problem solving skills in a stimulating and creative environment.
- Experience hands-on learning in many STEM areas including design, build, electrical, engineering, machining and programming in a dynamic setting.
- Advance your skills of creative problem solving, working with sponsors in industry, making a business plan, planning events, writing essays and speaking in a professional manner.
- Experience the world of handling professional social media platforms, photography, video editing and photoshop, branding and marketing.
- Work with dedicated mentors from diverse backgrounds who together have over 160 years of experience guiding students on FRC teams.
- Have fun! Enjoy collaborating with other students who are dedicated to the many areas of our team including STEM, business, and media.
Where and When?
Our team meetings now take place at our new home, 2115 South Service Road W, Oakville, Ontario at 7:00 on Wednesdays. This is a very large facility. We also test our robot and train our robot drivers at the Oakville Yacht Squadron, where we have been granted a vast amount of space to set up a practice field.
About the Robot Challenge
Early in January we learn details of the new robot challenge for the coming year. We then have only 6 weeks to design, build, program and troubleshoot the new robot.
In March and April we compete in District Competitions, and if we are successful we progress to participating in the District Championships, where the best of Ontario compete. If we are the top 30 teams in Ontario, we progress to the World Championships in the USA at the end of April.
The skills and interests learned and the friendships built enrich our team members as they progress in their studies and future careers.
FRC Team 1360 – Orbit Robotics
Oakville community based FRC team.
Training Season – September to December
Build Season – January to February
Competition Season – March to April
Outreach and Fundraising – Year-round
Sheridan College – Skills Training Centre
407 Iroquois Shore Rd.
Oakville, ON L6H 1M3
To inspire students with STEM.